Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dear Lord: Prayer really is the best way to start

Sometimes it's easy to forget everything in the mad rush that is life.

I started out today not sure I wanted to wake up. There was a prayer meeting this morning at 8am, and I was very tempted to sleep through it. Largely because I'd stayed up so late last night. But I decided to go anyway, and I'm glad I did.

Apparently, there are some issues in the church right now. In my experience, this is, unfortunately, all too common. People are people everywhere, even in church. There will always be those people that end up causing problems and strife, and I've grown accustomed to it in churches. It's a sad truth. The prayer meeting this morning was in regards to the issues in the church. An attempt, if you will, by the women of the church to support the men, if only from a distance.

It ended up lasting nearly two hours. This was surprising, but nice. We prayed specifically for the men of the church, certainly. But we also took a break and discussed things currently going on in our lives. One of the things brought up was that a friend of mine has recently had an abortion. Now, yes. I have a moral and religious objection to abortion. I disagree with her decision. But I also understand her reasoning. She is a single mother of one, living with her parents. Another child would basically cement her into a life she doesn't want. Happily, I was able to pray for her with the group, her current child, and her medical/physical status. I'm not entirely sure she would be happy about this if she knew, but I am concerned about her physical, mental, and emotional stability. Abortions are not just a physical trauma, but often an emotional trauma as well.

I met my parents for lunch. There were things I was supposed to have done between the prayer meeting and lunch, but my parents were also not supposed to make it up to my area until mid-afternoon. They called me a little before noon. We tried to go to a couple of different restaurants, but we weren't having a lot of luck. Instead, we ended up in a little Chinese buffet. It was quite nice. And then my parents informed me they had not only brought me an old monitor, but they had bought me a new printer, and my sister had bought me some bad sci-fi books. It made me smile.

The mudanities of meeting my parents was surprisingly nice. I'm having issues with my taxes (my previous employer may have managed to mess up my taxes, and thus my finances for the next few months), and my dad was able to help out at least a little. It's nice, even for a couple of hours, to be reminded that my family is there for me, and that my life is not all about my inability to get a job.

"I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment