Sunday, March 22, 2009

Dear Lord: I think I'm a little overwhelmed.

I think the Lord plays Super Smash Brothers. He's got a Smash Bros. Hammer, and He's hitting me hard.

As I headed out the door this morning for church, I noticed a Sunday paper on my doorstep. Now, I don't get the paper. It's $100 something a year, and certainly, that's a deal. But it's still more than I could afford before, and quite a bit more than I can afford now while I'm jobless. But it's important to get a Sunday paper for the classifieds.

Now, I'll never claim to be perfect. My first thought when I saw that paper was that I should steal it. Grab it real quick, while no one was looking, and then I'd have one, at least, to look through for free. But the thought was fleeting, and I picked the paper up, hoping I could find an address or something, so I could toss it onto the right doorstep before I left for church. So I was shocked when I read, through the garish translucent orange bag the newspaper was in, that this was actually a free copy. In fact, I'll now be getting a free Sunday newspaper for the next four weeks. If that's not God at work, I don't know what is.

I hugged the newspaper. Silly, yes, but I was a little overwhelmed. Then I set the paper inside my screen door and climbed into the car. Now, I'm pretty eclectic in my music taste, but for now, I'm sticking to my Christian station. Like it or not, I'm still not completely stable emotionally, and heavy metal is just going to make that worse. So I flipped on the radio and headed on. Not three seconds later, Mark Schultz's song Back In His Arms Again comes on, and I lost it. It was so obvious to me that the Lord was putting His arms around me. And all it took was a free newspaper.

And then, at church, Mr. and Mrs. Missionary (to protect their privacy) handed me a packet of information on teaching English overseas with a missions organizations.

I have so much to go through, and I haven't even had a chance to apply for unemployment.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth. a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment