Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dear Lord: HELP.

The first day is always the hardest.

It was softened, somewhat, by the fact that I was already expecting to get a weekend. So waking up this morning and realizing I wasn't going in to work today wasn't a total shocker. On the other hand, I hadn't actually slept that much.

I know, we all say it. "Don't let what that guy said get to you." "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." "It's just one guy, after all."

And sure. That's all true. I've never been fired before. I've never even been let go from a job before. I'm a hard worker with a good work ethic; everyone tells me so. But this one guy has shaken all of my confidence in myself. What if he's right? What if I'm not cut out for the real world? What if I'm going to die alone and homeless on the streets?

Okay, so I realize that's not likely. But the things that go through your head after being let go from a job aren't always rational.

This was my first 'real' job out of college. Sure, I'd known two weeks into it that it definitely wasn't something I wanted long-term, but that only softened the blow a little. Yay. Instead of having a mediocre job I tolerate enough to pay the bills, I have no job and the possibility I won't be eligible for unemployment.

First thing I do is get some things settled. Contact former coworkers who owe me things, or who loaned me things. I have to get all of that squared away. Then it's time to send an email to my pastor. Who knows? Maybe he can help, and if not, at least he can pray for me. Besides, he leads my small group, so he's aware of the troubles I'd been having previously.

Then it's time to open the Bible. Dear Lord, I need help. I don't know where to go from here, or how to even begin looking for a new job.

"No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:5-9

No comments:

Post a Comment